W705 Epoxy Color 2K is excellent for both interior and exterior use, as it is 100% waterproof and its adhesion and durability are extreme. (Supplied)
Slab and stone installation is an investment that should not be treated lightly. However, many facilities are often affected by an inadequate selection of materials that compromises the expected result. Take for example loose grout joints, discolored by chlorine in a swimming pool or blackened by fungus in a shower. No matter how beautiful the mosaic is, the result is a lackluster installation. What if I told you that there is a grout that does not come off, does not stain or discolor and where fungi or bacteria do not grow.
The Puerto Rican company Weco has just launched W705 Epoxy Color 2K, a two-component epoxy grout and mortar for applications up to 5/8 ″ thick, on all types of slabs or stones.
W705 Epoxy Color 2K is excellent for both interior and exterior use, as it is 100% waterproof and its adhesion and durability are extreme. Some of the most critical applications in which I recommend you use this product are the following:
- For swimming pools, hot tubs, fountains and other submerged applications – Due to its high resistance and color retention, against the constant attack of chemicals such as chlorine and because it prevents efflorescence in the grout joints.
- For the shower floor – Due to its impermeability and resistance to stains and because it does not allow the growth of fungi, bacteria or microbes.
- For the “backsplash” or the top of the kitchen, industrial kitchens and restaurants – Because it does not stain with grease, drinks or any other type of substance.
- For industrial or high traffic floors – Because it is extremely resistant, it does not crack or peel.
In keeping with current design trends, W705 Epoxy Color 2K is available in seven bright colors, in shades of gray and cream. Contrary to past experiences with epoxies, W705 Epoxy Color 2K can be easily applied if the right materials are available and the following application recommendations are observed:
- Before applying the product, and as a general rule, make sure that the joints are clean and free of dust.
- Pour component B (catalyst) into component A (paste) and mix with a drill at 300 RPM until you get a homogeneous mixture, without lumps. Mixing by hand is not recommended.
- Apply the paste on the joints and remove the excess product. The open time of the product is 45 minutes, but it will decrease notably if the temperature is much higher than 85 ° F and there is wind in the area, so it is recommended to apply the product outdoors early in the morning, in the afternoon. or under a tent.
- Carry out a first cleaning with lots of water and a corrugated sponge when the product is still fresh.
- Perform a second cleaning with a rigid foam sponge and plenty of clean water.
- After 15 to 30 minutes, clean again with the corrugated sponge and plenty of clean water.
- Finish by removing any residue present with a clean cloth.
- Wait a minimum of 24 hours for the area to open to traffic.
- Although W705 Epoxy Color 2K is very easy to clean, after 24 hours you can use W707 Epoxy Clean G gel detergent to remove any extreme residue that has remained.
Get all the products of the Weco Professional System at Centro de Tiletas y Baños (CLB) in San Juan, Centro de Terrazos y Azulejos (CTA) in Camuy, International Rustic Tile in Mayagüez, Stone & Tile in San Juan, Terra Tile in Vaga Alta , AOR Building Supplies in San Juan or your closest Home Depot store, or order them at your favorite hardware store or tile center.
Engineer Carly Carrión is a remodeling specialist and Weco collaborator. For more ideas and useful information on remodeling, go to www.preguntaleacarly.com or look it up on social media.