Governor Wanda Vázquez Garced. (Vanessa Serra Diaz)
Governor Wanda Vázquez Garced extended today, Thursday, until October 16 the current executive order, which is why the opening to limited capacity (25%) of cinemas, casinos and gyms remains, the more the curfew remains between 10:00 pm to 5:00 am
The interim governor, Raúl Márquez Hernández, signed the new order, as the first executive traveled today to Orlando and New York , where she will meet with the Fiscal Oversight Board (JSF), the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the federal Department of Health.
The determination of this extension came after concluding that the delay with the processing of COVID-19 tests limited the information that the Department of Health has today to suggest a new flexibility.
“After the meetings with the experts from medical and economic groups, the unanimous conclusion was reached that the most prudent thing is to maintain the containment and mitigation measures under the current Executive Order until we have complete and validated data corresponding to the first two weeks of its implementation, which allow the current reality of COVID-19 in Puerto Rico to be accurately established, ”said Health Secretary Lorenzo González Feliciano in a press release.
Most of the processing of molecular test results is carried out by Quest Diagnostics Puerto Rico, whose contract with the agency was suspended until it validates that it has the ability to produce timely and reliable results.
Here you can read the executive order:
Executive Order until 16 … by El Nuevo Día
The extension of the executive order, for an additional period of 14 days, reiterates the importance of complying with precautionary measures, physical distancing and the use of masks at all times.
What does the executive order state?
- Casinos, gyms, cinemas, recreational areas and swimming pools will be able to continue their operations with a maximum capacity of 25%.
- The hammocks, cafeterias, bars and discotheques must remain closed.
- The marinas will continue to be open with due separation between the boats and the beaches will remain open for exercising exclusively.
- Education will continue to be delivered at a distance
- The Secretary of the Interior will receive proposals for the consideration of concerts, theatrical activities and corporate activities for their approval and authorization and the prohibition of mass activities, both in open and closed spaces, is reiterated, including parades, caravans and similar activities that encourage agglomeration of people.
- Restaurants, car dealerships, churches and wakes will continue their services with a maximum of 50% capacity inside, and alcoholic beverages can be consumed and purchased until 10:00 pm in restaurants and supermarkets.
Here you can see the changes that were implemented in the current executive order: