The Mafalda strip debuted on September 29, 1964. (Archive)
Rebel, feminist and rebellious, Mafalda is, according to the description of its author, Quino, “a girl who tries to solve the dilemma of who are the good guys and who are the bad guys in this world”.
The girl was born in the creative and convulsed sixties and more than half a century later, and after questioning at least three generations around the world, she is still as valid as then.
- The Mafalda strip debuted on September 29, 1964 in Primera Plana and was born by chance , since it was originally a commission that the advertising agency Agnes had made to the author for Siam Di Tella's brand of Manfield appliances. Although the advertising campaign was never carried out, Quino rescued the drawings from a drawer a year later and made it an icon of the comic not only in Argentina but also worldwide.
- It was translated into 15 languages and edited in more than 30 countries. In 1969 it was published in Italy with a foreword by the philosopher and writer Umberto Eco.
- Mafalda, the film , was made in 1979 and premiered in Buenos Aires in 1981. Directed by Carlos Márquez, the girl's voice was played by Argentine actress Susana Klein, who, more recently, was the voice of Natsuko, from the anime Arbegas , the guarded ray.
- Mafalda's feminist vision is difficult to deny, so much so that last year, Ediciones de la Flor, which publishes Quino in Argentina, published “Mafalda: singular feminine” , a selection of cartoons that “give a good account of the feminist character of this girl who at the age of six claims curiosity, education, critical spirit and the role of women in the world ”, according to the description of the publisher.
- The last appearance of an unpublished strip by Mafalda was on June 25, 1973 in the weekly Siete Días. Regarding its end, Quino said that he stopped drawing it because he did not want to repeat himself, but he also suggested that he could be a victim of the political violence that was experienced in Argentina in those years: “If I kept drawing it, they would hit me one or four shots,” he said. on one occasion.