The Parallel18 Gen 8 DemoDay was for the Zoom platform. (Capture)
The Puerto Rican companies Barras Jabón Artesanal , Tasty Smart and Dealer App Center won the favor of the public in the now traditional DemoDay of the eighth generation of the international accelerator parallel18.
On this occasion, the event – which is considered the graduation of the startups that participated in the program – was virtual due to COVID-19 restrictions.
The format was also different, because there were no question and answer sessions from an investor panel as had been done to date, but the evaluation of the four-minute presentations of each of the 13 participating startups fell on a vote by Internet. The first company – Barras – won a $ 2,000 grant and the second and third – Tasty Smart and Dealer App Center – each won $ 1,000.
“This generation is particularly special because, in addition to the fact that they are all Puerto Rican, many had to adjust to the new reality of the pandemic in order to operate and offer their services,” said Eduardo Padial, parallel18's director of operations.
For her part, Lucy Crespo, chief executive of the Science, Technology and Research Trust, to which parallel18 is attached, stated during her presentation that “we have a great commitment to continue working with entrepreneurship. We believe that this is indeed a land of opportunity. We have shown tremendous resilience, to adapt, evolve and grow ”.
In this generation of Puerto Rican companies, who completed their training remotely due to the pandemic, participated:
- Raincoat, a creator of parametric insurance policies
- LabbGo , platform for health services and logistics
- Guardian Systems , a video analytics platform, especially security
- Homebase , digital market where users can find their next home
- Fitverz , which provides employees access to wellness programs and tracks return on investment and the impact on their performance
- Tasty Smart , which makes gluten-free and vegan cookies
- Dealer App Center , an application for the automotive industry that includes the sale of vehicles online
- Strain , an application for the cannabis industry
- Beauty911 , a platform to offer beauty services at home or office
- EventRay , platform aimed at the events industry
- Artisan Soap Bars , digital store for lovers of natural soap
- Outcome Project , data platform aimed at the healthcare industry
- The Pop'D Shop , a manufacturer of carbonated drinks without preservatives and with natural ingredients.
The remote training lasted for 20 weeks.